Beco do Pinto, a passage used by people and animals in colonial São Paulo, is looking impeccable. The alley in the downtown area (Centro) is part of the São Paulo City Museum, which preserves historical sites ranging from the 17th to the 20th century. It can be entered via Casa da Imagem, reopened in 2011 after extensive restoration. The passage is located between this building housing the city's iconographic archives and Solar da Marquesa de Santos, which was also restored and reopened on the same day as Casa da Imagem.
Beco do Pinto is now a space which can be used for contemporary art installations. Originally, the passage also known as Beco do Colégio connected Rua do Carmo (now Rua Roberto Simonsen) and the Tamanduateí River valley.
Vestiges of 18th-century sidewalks in brick, dolomite and cobblestone were found during restoration of the site, as well as fragments of household items and instruments such as knives used in autopsies when Casa da Imagem housed a police station in the early 20th century.
The passage's name refers to Brigadeiro José Joaquim Pinto de Moraes Leme, the first documented owner of Solar da Marquesa de Santos. The brigadier caused a stir when he had the passage closed in 1821. The passage was reopened in 1826, when it was officially called Beco do Colégio; closed again by the marquess in 1834; and replaced in its function by Beco do Carmo (current-day Rangel Pestana Avenue) in 1912.
Beco do Pinto:Access through Casa da Imagem
Rua Roberto Simonsen, phone: 55-11-3106-5122
São Paulo - SP
Closest Subway Station: Sé