The Bottom Line
Updated on Sep.5, 2009.
Newly renovated Mar Ipanema Hotel is one of the best in Rio de Janeiro in the mid-price range. A great location on the fashionable corner of Visconde de Pirajá and Aníbal de Mendonça, just two blocks from the beach, is certainly a plus.
Check rates on Kayak
- Located two blocks from the beach
- One universally designed guest room
- Complimentary high speed internet access in all rooms
- Double pane windows
- Restaurant features chef Andréa Tinoco (and Devassa beer)
- No swimming pool
- All guest rooms have a safety box, a mini refrigerator, A/C, cable TV, internet access and a radio.
- Services include laundry and room service.
- Address: R. Visconde de Pirajá 539 - Ipanema
- Phone: 55-21-3875-9191
- Fax: 55 21-2511-4038
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.maripanema.com.br
Guide Review - Mar Ipanema Hotel
Mar Ipanema Hotel underwent a complete renovation in 2009 and added four guest rooms, bringing the total number to 86.
The 11-story building is on the corner of Rua Visconde de Pirajá, the main bus artery in the district, and Aníbal de Mendonça.
Surrounded as it is by boutiques, restaurants, office buildings, and all kinds of other businesses - bakeries, drugstores, supermarkets - it should come as no surprise that the Mar Ipanema is also exposed to noise.
One of the hotel's pluses is its next-door restaurant, Armazém Devassa, chef Andréa Tinoco's place in a partnership with Cerveja Devassa. On weekends, there might be tables on the sidewalk and lots of talking till about 4am.
However, during a tour of the hotel, I could confirm that the double pane windows in the guest rooms are pretty thick. The noise from Visconde de Pirajá was not a problem on the sixth floor.